Saturday 4 September 2010

Time to get serious

Yesterday morning Paul completed his channel swim in 18 hours 19 minutes, an amazing swim in what sounded like very tough conditions. I am totally inspired by his fantastic effort but it has also been a reality check that the elements could be against me as well and I could have to swim for that long or longer. Over the moon for Paul who showed real mental strength to get to France but I can't even begin to imagine what it was like.

Went to Dover today to do two 7 km swims with a feed imbetween. I have done my six hours and am now working on maintaining my fitness and speed endurance before the swim which weather permitting is about 3 weeks away. Swam the first as Charlie instructed as a fartlek, 1km relaxed, 1km fast until my feed. Maxim and mini jaffa cakes at 1 hour 40 minutes and then 5km of relaxed swimming followed by a 2km sprint to the finish. I got a bit annoyed, (okay very annoyed) by the way a few sailing boats seemed intent on killing me in the first couple of laps and to be honest I wasn't in a good frame of mind. I don't know why which makes it quite frustrating. This wasn't a long swim and I was pleased to hear the set but for some reason it wasn't quite there. I think I possibly need some sleep, going back to school takes it out of me and it was a pretty sleepless night when Paul was swimming as I kept checking the tracker!

Got out and was cheered up to hear Paul was coming down and also to speak to Michelle, Howard and Lara who have all completed the channel. Charlie pointed out to me that I shouldn't let Pauls swim worry me as we just don't know what my day will be like and I have, like him, done lots of training. Saw Paul and congratulated him again before hearing a little about his swim; he was very honest about it which I really appreciated and gave me some advice and food for thought about my swim.

So like I said 3 weeks to go. I am praying to God, Jesus and Mary that the weather will be okay. Although I would do it the idea of waiting until next year and doing this all again is not an attractive one. I do feel ready to take on the English Channel and feel although I am very young that it is the right time to do the swim. I am very nervous already but I trust in my team and well, theres nothing I can do about the weather or the tides.

Post again soon, thanks for reading,
Abby xx

No comments:

Post a Comment