Friday 30 July 2010

Well it's not been my best week as far as swimming has gone; Saturday was overcast and horrible so not my favourite conditions but in we got same as usual after talking for a while and dragging out our preparations. We had planned a 15km swim but my shoulder wasn't happy right from the start. Charlie had told me to get out if it started hurting as I had had to miss the session during the week and looking back I think I stayed in too long but after about 8km Ii had to get out. I could have swum through it but it would have been a stupid thing to do with so little time left until the big swim. I was absolutely gutted when I got out as I was swimming well and hate giving up at the best of times but luckily my parents were on hand to (literally) pick me up from the ground and after talking to Charlie we decided that I clearly needed to rest until I saw Paul again to avoid further problems. Thinking about it now I think mentally a break was also a good idea because it has been a very long season this year and it's not even close to being over.

Sunday was the Deal Regatta swim which I won last year but of course I couldn't swim. We had to take the shield back which was a bit annoying but when we got there we saw the some of the successful channel relay team who have also trained with Charlie. It was great to see them, congratulate them and hear all about him. Such a brilliant group of people who have really lifted me many times and I am thrilled for them. Watched the race in the afternoon and saw Kathryn win the shield which was brilliant. She has always been so good to me and I was really pleased for her.

Couldn't sit still any longer by Monday so went in the gym for an hour and a half and then saw Paul and he sorted me out. We have again been very lucky, firstly that Paul is such an amazing physio and secondly that my injuries have not being too serious. This time it was stiffness in my back and left shoulder have caused trapping in the shoulder but Paul has fixed it and fingers crossed it will be okay. Then a sleepover with the amazing girls from swimming who have got me through so many sessions. We had a great time and I was knackered by Tuesday night. Wednesday morning I was back in the water for a pool session which went quite well. Wednesday night was a sea swim that was brilliant. I got ready to get in the water and suddenly the rain came down and the thunder started. We took shelter under the roof of a beach hut and got in slightly late. The sea was rough and it was very fun, I loved it.

Thursday was my our morning session (no morning getting up at 4am) and one of my last pool sessions as I am mostly based in the sea from now on. It was a good session with all the great Canterbury swimmers; good luck to all of them going to nationals, they are all so amazing in and out the pool and I am sure they will be brilliant. Went on a long walk and afternoon tea with Eleanor (because we're cool) and too Deal Carnival in the evening then running this morning before dossing around all day with mum. How I love the summer holidays!

Post again soon,
Abby x

No comments:

Post a Comment