Saturday 3 July 2010

Feasting with the fish

Start again where I left off. Monday night time trial. The sun was out and unfortunately, so was the fast swimmer in the wetsuit meaning I got beaten. Only by 15 seconds but just goes to show the importance of my attitude when I swim. The minute I saw the swimmer who I knew was as fast or more likely faster than me I was beaten, even before I got in the water. I swam okay and the time wasn't bad but I was really angry with myself for being beaten, not because he was faster but because I didn't fight for the race because mentally I was already second. Anyway, I swam back to get my kit and got the disappointment out of my system and got stung twice more by those stupid jellyfish.

Back in the pool Wednesday morning for a short set as I had to get out early to get ready for a fundraising day and sports day at school. In case any of you are reading this, thanks to all the people who helped out, really fun day with Ellie and I getting into the roles of Jack and Jill quite well dragging buckets of water up onto the field for throwing sponges at teachers. Thanks to all the teachers who volunteered for that! The unofficial total is £250.40 for the day so thanks to everyone for being so generous. In the sea for a session on Wednesday night with Howard and Paul which I enjoyed immensely. Then a BBQ on the beach to celebrate mums birthday before heading to bed rather late. Thursday morning came around all too quickly and the set was not an Abby set. One hundreds? No thanks, I always find you start to get into it and the wall gets in the way. Then again, thats always the way in the pool!

Went for a run on Friday and then watched Murray. I think I must be cursed, I came back to watch it and he immediately lost his serve. Anyway woke up early this morning to eat my porridge and go to the beach. Thought I would improve my tan line but the sun never appeared. Charlie dropped a bombshell when I arrived. The most I have done in one go is 12km (a bit under 3 hours) and today he asked for 9km, feed, 7km, feed, 4km. 20km! I was slightly scared (especially when I got stung almost straight away) but was already with my new found operation combat boredem after telling mum I was going mad in the water with so little to think about. It didn't quite work though. I planned to do an A-Z of everything and yes, I did an A-Z of girls names, boys names, spanish words, biology, chemistry and physics words, history words, books, films, songs and everything else but I had done them all by 4km and had to count to some big number to keep myself amused before lapsing into daydreaming about nothing and singing the songs on my ipod that I am not going to name through fear of embarassing myself! Anyway dad was on the kayak and kept me company, he even gave me my feeds in the water! Kept amused until 16km but my shoulders were starting to hurt and I was seriously in need to motivation. Luckily for me Paul was on hand when we saw each other in the water and he told me I couldn't count and actually I had only 3 km to go, that cheered me up and I finished in about 4 hours and 40 something minutes chuffed to bits having swum for 2 hours longer than ever before.

Suffering now with sore shoulders, tiredness and stings but still smiling. Going to cook dinner now so if dad and I don't turn up where we are meant to me next week, just assume with have food poisoning!

Thanks for reading
Abby x

No comments:

Post a Comment