Sunday 11 July 2010

Schools out and the tides coming in

Thought I would have a nice easy set on Sunday after Saturdays effort but never underestimate the coach; Charlie thought I would like a nice 3 x 6 kilometre set. I had plans in the afternoon with the lovely Eleanor so had to get up at 4.45 and eat my porridge so I was in the water at 6. Really lovely and still so the first 6 km was great, fed and did the next one but was starting to notice some pain from my shoulder running down my arm. Survived until the next feed and took on some painkillers but 40 minutes later I was still in agony and mum (on the kayak) was probably suffering from sore ears from all my moaning. Saw Paul at 14 kilometres and he told me to get out. Luckily for me he is probably the best physio in the world as well as being incredibly kind so he told me to come and see him early Tuesday morning and he would fix it.

Had a great afternoon with Ellie and saw eclipse in the evening which was great. The image of Taylor Laugtner with his shirt off has got me through many sessions since! Morning training on Monday was fine apart from my shoulder so I did some kick and cut the session short. Then school for the last week until the summer holidays. Saw Paul on Tuesday morning and he fixed the shoulder and gave me some exercises. Cake sale at school on Tuesday and then karate before morning training on Wednesday and Thursday with my sports leaders final assessment in the afternoon. The last day of school on Friday, can't believe it is the summer holidays and I am going to be in year 11 next year! Also makes the channel swim seem ever closer as after the holidays it's 2 and a half weeks!

Four times 4 kilometres fast swim on Saturday. First two were fine but after 10 km was was very very bored and losing motivation. It is quite difficult at the moment; lots of hours and still 10 weeks to go but somehow got through and finished, but not very fast! Improved my hat line and tan line immensely, I am at the stage that no matter how bad my hair looks (and trust me, it can look awful!) I cannot pin my fringe back without being laughd at by everyone I meet. It makes running very hard.

Anyway, Kingsdown today which was great as it is know where near as boring as Dover, but this is where the blog title comes in. The tide was against us going to Deal pier which meant we were 1 hour 25 minutes for the 4 kilometres, without the tide we would cover it in under an hour. Anyway began to go back looking forward to an easy swim but... the tide changed and began to go in like no mans business. It was incredible, I swam for an hour and made about 100 metres! Anyway, saw Paul walking down the beach and got up myself, was coming up to some boats and it was getting dangerous. He had made no ground and knew we weren't going to make it back so we walked back and informed Charlie we were over determined idiots and dad was still in the kayak. Mum collected him so we all got back okay. Although it was annoying it as a great experience. At Cape Griz Nez we could be making no ground for up to six hours. It kind of hit home how tough the swim is going to be and has made me more determined, without training my very best and doing everything Charlie and Tony tell me I will have no chance. Everything, training, eating, resting and tapering has to be perfect and I also luck, God and everything looking favourably upon me. Thank goodness I will have a fantastic pilot and a wonderful support team in my family as well as two brilliant coaches and a lot of pure bloody-mindedness to help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment