Sunday 20 June 2010

sore shoulders and sun burn

Not a bad week of training this week, 10km, feed, 2km on Saturday, 10km on Sunday and then pool training all week in preparation for Champion of Champions yesterday. Quite nervous all week knowing it was going to be a tough race. Skipped training on Friday night and watched the England match which frankly put me off my porridge but was a good insentive to get a rare early night as after 50 minutes I couldn't bear to watch it anymore.

Woke up early on Saturday and ate MORE porridge with maxim (joy) before checking the bag which I think weighed more than me and set off for the halbour. Signed in and went to briefing where we were told that the water was 15 degrees. Yeah right, I would advise them to check their themometers because seriously, it doesn't feel any warmer than when it was ten degrees. 5 mile race first and the conditions were quite good but a little choppy. Swam well and came 6th doing it 16 minutes quicker than last year. Dressed and fed on cous cous, rice cakes, half a kit kat, maxim, coffee and lemon squash followed by an apple and dolly mixtures (don't worry, I don't usually eat that much!) before greasing up again for the three mile race. Still a bit cold when I got in and had a good race with my training buddy but my arms kind of hurt at the end and had cramp in my hips which I thought was pretty impressive, normally you hear about arms and legs. However the conditions had really detiroated during the break and got worse during the race with the harbour turning into a washing machine and the spectatators getting soaked and then having their hair dried by the wind. It almost looked as good as my hat hair did with it's salt water shampoo and probably sewage conditioning. Found it hard to get warm after the three miles and didn't want to eat much as the gap before the one mile was quite small. Forced down some custard, grapes and carmel nibbles (very difficult obviously) with a bit of maxim before getting greased up once more. Really didn't want to get in the water again as the conditions were getting worse by the minute. My training partener passed me at the half way stage and I had nothing in my arms to respond. I also knew I had about 15 minutes to spare in the overall race in my age group so to be honest I didn't feel the need to kill myself. Got out and had the shower I had been waiting for all day; then the presentation after coffee, carrot and a jaffa cake where I got the junior trophy and came sixth overall. I was disappointed with the time because I had hoped to go under 4 hours for the 9 miles but the conditions meant it wasn't to be. Overall it was a great day made even better by a friend and his mum coming down to support us. Thanks Sanchia and Dan, it was very kind of you and meant a great deal.

Had a meal with the family and then went to bed in a bad mood having been told I was going training this morning despite thinking and dreaming about lying in bed until mid day. Did 6km with very sore arms but saw some club mates who cheered me yesterday which was great as I really wanted to thank them. Had breakfast afterwards as I couldn't get out of bed early enough to eat before and now I am relaxing until morning training. It's true what they say, there really is no (or very little) rest for the wicked.

Thanks for reading and hasta luego,
Abby x

No comments:

Post a Comment